Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Calling Off Work, Quitting, and Other Ramblings

Being in the staffing and recruiting industry for nearly 9 years, I never cease to be surprised by the reasons people quit their jobs, lose their jobs, or call off work (see "lose their jobs" for more information on this one).  Since every week I find myself saying at least once "well, there's a new one," I've decided to keep a journal of excuses and my reaction to them.   I'll post them here occasionally, primarily for my own entertainment.


Calling off Work


"I have the runs." Of the terms used for this on my phone or on my voice mail, this is probably the least graphic. First of all, let's get this out of the way right off the top:  If this is the reason you are calling off work, I really don't need to know the frequency, consistency, painfulness, or physical description.  "I'm sick to the stomach and am afraid I won't be able to stay out of the restroom" will suffice.  Thanks in advance. But secondly, just for those of you who do not know:  they do make OTC medication for this. How about taking one and letting us know you're sick but could you come in two hours late to give the medication time to work? It's unusual that someone would really need an entire day to get over "the runs."

"I have a doctor's appointment."  So you have to miss the entire day for a doctor's appointment? Of the 4000 hours of payroll I have a week, roughly 60-80 are lost to "doctor's appointments" for 8 people. Most of our employees work in north-central Pennsylvania.  Where is the doctor's appointment, Virginia? New Hampshire? In most common circumstances, there is no reason to miss an entire day for a doctor's appointment. A colonoscopy?  Sure. But your typical doctor's appointment?  No. Go in late, leave early, or go and come back. It really is that simple.

What? You didn't know you had a doctor's appointment until this morning? Please understand that somewhere some production planner based their expectation of how many widgets could be made upon having X number of people there today. The fact you forgot to, neglected to, or chose not to let someone know before today that you have a "doctor's appointment" means either someone else has to work harder to make up for your absence or the company is going to lose some money. Eh, but who cares if the company loses money, right? It's only your job that will eventually be cut due to finances. No big deal.

"My car broke down last night and I can't get it fixed."  All together now:  Give me a "B!"  Give me a "U!" Give me an "S!"   What's that spell?  BUS!  Okay, not all towns have public transportation, but ours does. So why are people telling me about their cars? Oh, and given the fact that getting the car fixed will cost money and we pay by the hour, calling off an entire day while claiming you can't get your car fixed is slightly counter-productive, don't you think?  Here's another idea:  TAXI.  Here's several more: neighbor, parent, relative, maybe the friends that helped you get the hangover that made you call off last Monday. The worst thing a broken car should do is make you late.  It should not make you miss an entire day.

"I QUIT!"


"The supervisor told me what to do!" Hmm.  Really?  Imagine that! Before you roll your eyes reading this, it was an actual honest to God reason an employee on his second day gave me for quitting. Apparently, the supervisor had told the employee that the way he was doing something wasn't efficient and to "try it this way."  

We can't have that. It's not the trainer's job to train, and it's not the supervisor's job to supervisor. So, if you're a supervisor, I caution you against, well, supervising or you may lose your employee.

"It's not enough money to live on."  I get this IF you've already done your job search and have attended an interview while you had the runs, your car was broken down, or you had that doctor's appointment in Virginia. I've read many employment applications on which people wrote "not enough money" in answer to "reason for leaving?"   and then had NO job for two to three years. Really?  How did that work out for you? 

I often wondered about such a reason. I always suspected  the "not enough money" was cover for something else on an application (fired, took an "under the table" job, there's a job not listed, etc).  But then I received a call from an employee last week that her job didn't pay enough and she was quitting (two hours before her shift, I might add).  I asked, "oh, so you found another job?"  She answered, "No. I said it's not enough money to live on."  I asked, "So then you'll have no job?"  She said, "Yeah. I just can't make it on that little." Bewildered, I couldn't resist asking the question, "So you'll just quit because nothing is obviously more than little?" Unsurprisingly, she didn't understand the question, so I repeated it. She answered, "Oh, I'll figure something out." Given the fact I just received her unemployment claim questionnaire, I'm going to go ahead and guess what she thinks she's figured out.

Folks, if you're not making enough money, I get that. But be an adult and find an alternative (i.e., another job) before quitting and sitting home on nothing and expecting someone else to pick up the tab. 

"I was disrespected." This phrase seems to be growing on popularity. Is this a song somewhere or something? Look, I don't mean any disrespect, but if you haven't earned respect, you cannot be "dis"-respected. And without exception, the people who have uttered the phrase "I was disrespected" or "you disrespected me" have not done anything to earn any respect. In fact, in every case it has been the contrary. Being corrected, managed, or expected to do something is not disrespect. Failing to correct, be managed, or do what is expected is disrespect.

"I didn't/don't like the job."  I get it. I think most people have at least had days that they didn't particularly like their job. If it's an everyday thing, it probably is time to change jobs. But in today's economy, make sure you have another job lined up before jumping ship.

"The walk-out." After almost 9 years, someone is still going to have to educate me and give me one example of what would be a good reason for a full-grown adult to walk out mid-shift on a job. 

The common theme for all of these? When did sense of responsibility and commitment die and where are they buried?  I'd like to send flowers.

by Ted Taylor, SPHR
Managing Partner, Quantum Strategic Personnel Solutions
Contact Quantum
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Question (rhetorical)...when is this country going to do something about welfare? It's true that people quit their jobs all the time because living off the system is actually a way better deal than working and making $7.50/hour. I would love to do whatever I wanted all day and still get paid too. (Well, for me it doesn't exactly cover all the comforts in my life I'm not willing to sacrifice, but then you don't get to judge me for having those things...I worked for them!) I work. I work hard, I work long, and I go above and beyond. I'm not tooting my own horn here, but I do. Yes, I have a nice paycheck to go with it. Because I WORKED for it!!! I'm beyond tired and pissed off that I'm also really working to keep the acutely indolent in comfort!

    "I quit because you hurt my feelings." This is also so very true, I've seen it happen. This whole idea of catering to millennials because you don't want to hurt their feelings or they may quit, or worse cry at work (or in class)!? Seriously kids, suck it up or quite frankly go ahead and QUIT!!! Just remember that nobody likes a quitter and futher, know you can't go on welfare for quitting (or at least that's how it should be!) Just because you're parents never yelled at you, rather they were just eternally "disappointed in you" doesn't mean the rest of us won't yell. Life isn't like baseball and soccer when you were a kid...there ARE in fact LOSERS!!! When you quit because someone yelled at you, or told you what do do, you're the LOSER!! You're a loser because you can't take constructive feedback/critism. Or once again, even worse, you can't do that "shit stuff" that is your job. No wonder Dr. Phil and Oprah are still making millions, thanks to this generation of whiny-marshmellow like-millennials the world is filled with cry babies that need therapy because somebody 'told them what to do' in a tone they had never heard before. Can you tell I'm from Generation X, and I don't give a damn that I hurt your feelings? It's true and I've come to wear it as a badge of honor.

    Last but not least, to add to your list, my personal favorite, which isn't really about leaving a job but wondering why you can't get one. On a resume under the "Experience" section a candidate once had listed as their first experience: Unemployed - 3 years. I think my trash can actually laughed when I put that resume in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you referenced what I think I agree is exactly the root cause of the issues you and I are describing. I have two children in high school. It has amazed me that every child makes the team, every child gets to play, we cannot use red pens because it might make the child feel corrected or uncomfortable or whatever. We allow kids to wear shorts and a tank top in 25 degree weather because God-forbid a parent tell a child "it's cold, go put something on, idiot!" By the time they graduate (or don't graduate) high school, they are so used to being coddled and rewarded for doing nothing, they expect to continue this in adult life. Sadly, given the state of welfare, unemployment, workers' comp, etc., it just might continue in adult life.

    ReplyDelete